This is a multi-part series on being Innovative. I will share my experience on inspiration for being innovative, tools, the need & leverage etc over a series of few posts.
Most of the time innovation is all about the state of mind while solving a problem. An inspiration system will put you into the right state.
#1 rule - find, build & refresh your inspiration system
An inspiration source can be anything that gives a mental / emotional jolt to you. You need to build a library of them
It can be anything below. The library can't be built in a day but start on now.
- Substance - Coffee, RedBull, Booze etc. Identify the substance which works for you.
- Music - A song or part of song which gives you the kick, Trance, Ambient, House works best
- Videos - ADs, TED, Documentaries, Steve Jobs speech etc
- Photos - Nature, Universe, Girl Friend, Celebs, heroes, role models, Cars etc
- Articles - Start collecting digital & paper articles, newspaper cuts etc
- Punchkins - Start collecting onliners that rocks (use evernote to organize)
- Compliments, Hurts & Ridicules - Think about Compliments, hurts & ridicules that you got from GF, teacher, parents, relatives, friends
- Dream about your ambition or long term goals getting achieved
- Pets, Kids, perfumes there are so many out there..
keep the stuff above updated. Constantly flush & renew. Your innovation system will be scattered & don't bother about that. Just try to organize them & pick the right one when needed.
Whenever you need to generate ideas, find inspiration using your system. Push yourself when you are giving up using the system.
Remember creative energy is an exhaustible resource & highly depend on your life circumstance as well. Your items in your system may not work at times when you are tired, depressed etc
MODERATE YOUR PLEASURABLE EXPERIENCES !! Use your inspiration system only when it's required.
Comment on any new items that inspires you..